Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Betty Crocker Cookbook #20: Chicken Tetrazzini (pg. 140) - 160119

This is a recipe that calls for cooked chicken, suggesting the purpose is to serve as a sink for leftover cooked poultry - I used leftover, frozen christmas turkey (mostly white meat). Some of the other ingredients are very hard to find here in their exact specifications; I used a whole can (10oz) of mushroom pieces-and-stems rather than the 4.5oz jar that Betty Crocker seems to think I'll have. This recipe also finished off the chicken broth Charlie had made for me, so despite my wanton use of Meleagris gallopavo there was still some Gallus gallus domesticus in this.

Chicken Tetrazzini

This is also a fun recipe because it provides a lovely excuse to buy lots of whipping cream - I have multi-use plans for the cream (if I can find or make ladyfingers) and I'll probably toss some in to a morning smoothie.

Overall, this is the first even-slightly disappointing recipe. Don't get me wrong, this is pretty good stuff, but my expecations were perhaps unrealistically high given the record from this book so far. The picture in the book shows a side-salad that's probably what I'm missing - some bright, crisp vegetables and festive tomatoes would complement this slightly bland cream-sauce pasta very well. But! I only ate half of it tonight, so I can seek out salad components for the leftovers.

No comments: