Sunday, January 17, 2016

Betty Crocker Cookbook #13: Mashed Potatoes (pg. 464) - 160110

I had some leftover Christmas turkey & stuffing taking up valuable room in my 'fridge's freezer - I still don't have a proper stand-alone chest freezer - and I didn't really have the ingredients necessary to tackle any of the recipes in this book designed to use up leftover cooked turkey or chicken. I also had a good supply of potatoes and this easy recipe is very similar to how I would prepare mashed potatoes anyway, before I started this project.

Mashed Potatoes

I did not substitute any ingredients, but I cooked the potatoes slightly differently than how the book instructs. Rather than boiling whole potatoes, I sliced them up and cooked them in my pressure cooker. Mashed potatoes is pretty much the only thing I use my pressure cooker as a pressure cooker for, rather than simply as a medium-large pot. Despite being about as old as me (or possibly older), the seal is in good shape and it builds up enough internal pressure to set the vent swinging noisily back and forth, a sound I associate with my childhood because this pressure cooker was given to me by my mother after she had used it for years. Thanks, Mom!

No comments: