Monday, May 01, 2006

Monday Rant: Computer Mice

Mouse technology has failed to keep pace in quality advancement with other aspects of personal computing.

This is my first of probably many Monday Rants.

I'm writing this on my Acer TravelMate 2200 laptop computer, which came equiped with a touchscreen mouse-thing. I hate that screen. That can be the subject of a different rant, though. To compensate for the crappy little screen, I bought a Belkin USB ball mouse the day after I got this computer. I think it cost $10.

Last week, it got sick and died. Not dead, really, since it still kind-of works, but it now squeaks like a real mouse, and the vertical movement rate is different from the horizontal. That's irritating, so I went and bought a Microsoft optical mouse.


Why do optical mice suck? Seriously, can anyone tell me why something so cool as to contain a frickin' laser has to be so annoying to use?

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet to whom this happens. But when I use an optical mouse, any optical mouse, it occasionally randomly throws the pointer across the screen. I'm happily wiggling my mouse, pointing and clicking contentedly, and suddenly the pointer, for no apparent reason, goes over there.
Smacking the mouse, or picking it up and slapping it against the desk, seems to temporarily fix the problem.

But it's still very annoying. And I suspect it only happens to me, implying that this is somehow my fault.





OK, for a first rant, that was extremely lame. Feel free to mock me and my defective rage in the comments section.

3 comments:

Bronze Dog said...

I use a trackball with my laptop, due to the shortage of tray space. An OPTICAL trackball.

I wish there were more trackballs out there, not that anything's really wrong with mine.

Confirmation word: vhmiloyf

"Ach, Hans! Run! It's the Vhmiloyf"

Anonymous said...

Optical mice don't like shiny surfaces... so it could be a random reflection confusing the poor thing. Change your mouse pad, or put a piece of (non-shiny) paper under it.

TheBrummell said...

Ah, good advice, thank you anon.

Let's see what I can dig up on the way of a non-shiny mouse pad.

Thanks!