Thursday, August 20, 2009

Scotch on the Glacial Rocks

090710

Today was a good day, and I was able to accomplish one of my personal goals I had set out for my visit to Alexandra Fjord: scotch on the rocks, with the rocks being ice cut from an Arctic glacier. Katherine offered to run the FTIR for me for a couple of hours in the afternoon, giving me a chance to explore the Dome a little bit. I made it to the side of the glacier bordering the Dome to the southeast, and cut a bit of ice and dropped it into a Nalgene bottle. It was still quite frozen when I returned to camp, and I stashed it in a nearby snowbank until after dinner.

Me, with my bottle of specially-purchased-just-for-this-trip anCnoc scotch.

An alarmingly phallic icicle that I cut from the underside of a glacial shelf over a glacial river, in my glass.

Some for me.

Some for Katherine.

Delicious!

I am well pleased with my glacial scotch.

I think Katherine took this picture mainly because of that phallic ice.

We were both highly impressed with the anCnoc (pronounced “a-nock”, apparently), it’s delicious even without ultra-pure ice.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Holy crap, grizzly adams!

Carlo said...

That's right, get stupid drunk, and have a life threatening accident in the middle of nowhere. Good work!

TheBrummell said...

Bah! It's not like we were near anything threatening at all. If I'd gotten drunk enough to be dangerous to myself, I'd have been too drunk to stagger to the nearest bit of difficult terrain, which was at least 400 metres away across rocky terrain guaranteed to make a drunkard collapse. Twisted ankle at worst.

Plus, an accidental injury would have allowed me to try out the saw blade on my new Leatherman multitool.