Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Boots!

Pursuant to yesterday's post about the joys of muddy (very muddy) fields, I here present a picture of my first dedicated, personally-owned piece of fieldwork gear: Big rubber boots.


Apparently, they're designed for industrial applications (???) and are 100% impermeable to water and highly resistant to "oil" and "acid". This leads me to question what type of industrial application would routinely subject the feet of workers to such treatment. The oil-and-gas industry is the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

Anyways, for only $30 (taken off of a gift card I got for chimmz) I can avoid nasty wet feet while bug hunting. Huzzah!

I also got nice insoles and some big wooly socks to go with these boots, to make the experience somewhat more comfortable. Further Huzzah!

5 comments:

langmann said...

I used to work with large drums of HCl and hypochlorite. Those same boots were useful.

TheBrummell said...

What were you doing with large drums of HCl and hypochlorite? Is that a standard practice in med school?

"OK, for this class, you need to gain some practice in treating chemical-burn trauma....line up, here, c'mon, form a line...OK, ONE, TWO, ONE, TWO, ONE, TWO, ONE, TWO..."

"Alright, everyone who's a ONE, step forward. You'll need to put on these - don't worry about the sizes, this is just for today... good, good. Now you TWOs, come here and stand on those Xs that have been painted on the floor. I know some of them are a little hard to see, what with the fading and whatnot...OK, good. Yeah, Willis, a step to your right...your RIGHT... a bit more... OK."

"Now, ONEs, pick up your crowbar..."

Carlo said...

I prefer to call them 'extreme galoshes', but I never do...

I saw many shows in my youth that referred to rubber boots as galoshes. But apparently that term is reserved for those little rubber 'sockettes' you put over your leather shoes.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Watson, I'm tired...

Anonymous said...

Are they CSA approved?

If a tree falls in the forest on Martin's toes, will anyone care?

TheBrummell said...

Are they CSA approved?

Yes. It's hard to see in the picture, but there's a green triangle on the side with the official CSA logo in it.

If a tree falls in the forest on Martin's toes, will anyone care?

No! Probably not even Martin, as these boots have steel toes!