Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mad Science Logo

This is the picture I'll be posting with every future "Mad Science" update. It will appear smaller, of course.

I took this picture using our lab's little digital camera. I put a scoop of powdered dry ice in a 150 mL Erlenmeyer flask with about 40 mL of water and a tiny amount of Bromophenol Blue. It's sitting on our freezer, with some blank white paper for background. Then I messed around with contrast and colours in Adobe Photoshop. The vapour effect is water removed from solution in air by the severely reduced temperature of the dry ice - it's colder than -80 degrees.

Since I took this picture, I'm going to assume I hold copyright to it. I open that copyright to the world - take this picture, mutilate it as you see fit, and place it wherever you choose.

No comments: