Thursday, June 22, 2006

I now own wine

I think there's a pretty good heritability score associated with owning wine. Not just drinking it; alcoholism is known to be fairly heritable. I mean taking joy in owning and collecting bottles full of fermented grape juice. Most of the rest of my family are great wine-hoarders - the basement of my parents' house, in addition to being the Canadian headquarters of the Global Business Network, is a pretty good wine cellar. I think my parents never own fewer than 300 bottles at any given time.

At chims, my family tends to exchange wine - everyone complains that their wine racks are too full (!), and promptly gives a portion of the collection away. Of course, with the additional purchasing of wine that invariably happens (wine makes a great gift), everyone's wine racks become even more full. Sadly, I was not able to participate in this bonding ritual, as until now, I did not own signficant quantities of wine, or specialized furniture to store it.

Yesterday, I acquired a small folding wine rack. It holds 10 bottles, plus whatever you can stack on top or against the wall. To go with it, and celebrate this gain, I went to the liquor store and bought three bottles, a Chardonnay from BC, and a Merlot and a Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile.

Yay! Perhaps soon I will be drinking wine, as well as being a proud owner. Maybe someday I'll even be able to afford such a hobby.

No comments: